Wednesday, June 17, 2009

WIKIS

Well blog, it's happened again. Another nouveau idea for me to apply to my personal life and professional library successes as well- of course (the main idea for this training!)

Personal:

Watching the video with it's cool little drawings made me realise that my chaotic Ma Jong group could be tamed by me opening up a wiki - then we might know when and who will be turning up every month. Quite amazing - everyone knows except me? maybe not .... no-one else has come up with the idea ..

Professional:

LIBRARY SUCCESS WIKI was impressive - at first it seemed overwhelming but when I saw the alphabetized list of categories I started to get interested - then I chose the GAMING topic and liked the neat, concise and informative way it was organised - every entry was the same with no verbosity, just the opposite - name, type and size of library, gaming types, platforms and a contact. THIS IS SO USEFUL!!

WIKIFY THE OPAC
This was certainly mind boggling - how could this happen? how could it be useful? and the entry that presented itself was indeed vast - but interesting. Would the St Joseph County Public Library have the time for an editor?

NATIONAL LIBRARY LIBRARY LABS
The policy is to invite people to comment on issues in this wiki, but if people want to edit or add info. they have to register.

They are involving an important project relating to vendor purchasing in this wiki and hope to 'INFLUENCE CURRENT INTEGRATED LIBRARY SYSTEM VENDOR PRODUCTS' and 'GUIDE FUTURE LIBRARY SYSTEM IMPLEMENTATIONS'
Open Library Environment (OLE) Project

So there is a serious international aspect to National Library's wiki. A communication that would be lots cheaper than a conference - or maybe will lead to one.

Thats all for today, my last working day for the week. I'm getting training and don't have to go to Southbank or sit for an hour listening to something I don't have time to listen to!! cheers blog

No comments:

Post a Comment